Deciding which places in France, the world’s most popular travel destination, are the best to visit, can be challenging!
The entire country is full of history, inviting villages, exquisite food and awe-inspiring vistas. France has so many regions that beckon from the French Alps to the South of France: there are wine producing regions, historic Normandy, the French Riviera, the island of Corsica and so much more. Due to how varied your travel to France can be, vacationing here can certainly be a reoccurring adventure!
In my opinion, the best way to discover a place is by going off-the-beaten-path where you can uncover hidden gems and talk with locals. Let’s get started uncovering or rediscovering some of the best places to visit in France!
Why Settle for the Ordinary? Experience the extraordinary!
- French chateau stays
- Country hotels & city stays
- Bordeaux winery castle visits
- Loire Valley castles
- Wine tours throughout France including Champagne & Burgundy
- Hike the steepest vineyard on the Rhône to uncover the splendid Hermitage wines
- French cooking classes
- Learn how to bake French pastries and croissants
- Regional French cheese tasting
- Visit a Truffle Farm in Pechalifour or the truffle market in Aups at the foothills of the Alps
- River cruises
- House boat rentals (no license or experience needed)
- Medieval fortified cities, the better and lesser-known gems
- Benedictine monastery visits, Romanesque churches, Medieval abbeys & 1,000 year old cathedrals
- Chamonix and Mont Blanc vacations
- Prehistoric cave art in the Dordogne
- Christmas market vacations
- The island of Corsica
- Honeymoon travel
- Family vacations
- Villa rentals
- Bask in the sun of the French Riviera and visit a perfumery
- Walk the bridged canals of charming Alsace
- Travel by bicycle to discover hidden villages
- River kayaking
- Horseback riding
- Rail vacations
- Hike the Pyreness
- Visit the walled, hilltop city of Carcassonne
- Uncover the lesser-known villages of Roussillion near the French-Spain border
- History focused tours including Normandy
- Charming fishing villages of French Catalonia
- Spa vacations
- Luxury barge vacations
- Self-drive and chauffeured tours
- Multi-country itineraries and more. The variety of vacations to France that we can craft, are endless!
Sample Trip Ideas
*The following are simply vacations to France I have planned according to the desires and preferences of other travelers. I am happy to design vacation based solely on your own vision, which of course is my area of expertise.
Explore famous vineyards of France on this French wine tour!
Your travel will begin in Paris with 3-nights hotel. Sightseeing recommendations will be made according to your interests and whether or not you’ve traveled to Paris before.
Private transfer or self-drive to Champagne where you will enjoy all of what Reims and Epernay have to offer. You’ll partake in world-renowned vineyard tours and tastings as well as history tours. In Reims, visit Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims where French kings had been crowned for over 1,000 years!
Private transfer or self-drive to the Grand Est region, formerly Alsace, for 3 nights in or around Strasbourg. You’ll enjoy a visit to the delightful wine villages of Ribeauville and Riquewhir. Since you are so close to the German border many German influences will be observed and enjoyed. Travel south with a visit of the prestigious Burgundy vineyards with cellar tours and wine tasting.
Private transfer or self-drive to Burgundy for 3 nights’ accommodation.
Enjoy a French cooking class where you learn how to make regional specialties and enjoy a delightful meal. Hot air balloon rides are available and provide a truly memorable view of the vineyards of Burgundy! Alternately, you can enjoy scenic bike rides through vineyards and small French villages.
This is truly a delightful way to experience the wines of France!
Explore southeastern France on this vacation in Provence! The Provence area is one of the most sought after vacation areas in France and for good reason. Plenty of beauty, history and exquisite cuisine awaits!
Arrive in Avignon for 5-nights hotel accommodation. Explore the region’s lavender fields; craft your own special blend of wine with a professional wine maker; explore the hills of the Luberon and its charming villages; discover Roman ruins and other historic treasures at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.
Private transfer or self-drive to Aix en Provence for 4-nights. From Aix en Provence you can hunt for truffles; partake in cooking classes or food market tours; experience the art of Cezanne and linger in quintessentially French villages.
Alternately, you can spend 4 nights relaxing in the “Venice of Provence” in the exquisitely charming L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue!
Travel to Nice or Marseille where you can spend your last evening relaxing before flying home. This is certainly a remarkable tour of France!
Discover many of the most famous Loire Valley castles on this special-interest tour!
Fly into Paris for 1-night to catch up on what may be new and exciting since your last visit. If you’ve never been to Paris consider a longer stay; I have many ideas to make your first trip to Paris a memorable one!
Depart Paris by taking a train to Tours where you will pick up your rental car. It is from Tours (or the surrounding area) that your Loire Valley castle tour begins!
Some of the stunning French castles you will visit including Chenonceau and Amboise, Villandry and Azay le Rideau as well as the castles of Blois and Chambord.
During your vacation you’ll savor the French wines of the Loire Valley– Chinon and Vouvray. You’ll also have the option to hot air balloon ride over the castles for a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Return to Paris for a night to relax before departing for home. A lovely vacation indeed!
The French Riviera is more than just stunning beaches! During this vacation you will uncover the Riviera’s lesser-known treasures along with the more famous highlights.
Fly to Nice for 7-nights in a 5-Star hotel along the beautiful Côte d’Azur. Your first day on the Riviera will be spent relaxing and exploring at leisure. Perhaps enjoy the many shops and boutiques the area offers before or after time at the beach.
On your second day you will embark on a full day discovery to the quintessentially French villages of Eze and Saint-Paul-de-Vence! This privately chauffeured tour will introduce you to the medieval history, architecture and local specialties of this famed area.
Day three will have you enjoying a private market tour with food and wine tastings; you’ll sample delightful local cheeses, tarts, olive oil and regional almond sweets along with wine tastings. Time at leisure to explore; plenty of suggestions will be provided!
Day four is quite an exciting day! Today you will explore the French Riviera by Lamborghini. Options can be discussed on where to go and how to spend your time.
Additional French Riviera Vacation Highlights Include:
– Indulgent spa treatments.
– Private sailing excursions.
– Private cooking classes.
– Plenty of time to relax by the beautiful Mediterranean Sea!
How about extending your vacation to the Italian Riviera just a stone’s throw away?
This special Parisian vacation package will introduce you to plenty of the lesser-known treasures of Paris! If you’ve never been to the City of Lights before we can certainly include visits to well-known landmarks.
Fly to Paris for 7-nights boutique hotel or a 5-star palace
Your Parisian Vacation Highlights Include:
– Sampling Parisian chocolates and pastries on a special food tour.
– Visiting Chateau de Vincennes by private driver.
– A lovely cruise along the River Seine.
– Private guided tours of lesser-known Parisian neighborhoods where you’ll discover the best boulangeries, creperies and cheese shops!
– Visit Champagne for tours and tastings.
– Indulge in an aromatherapy spa treatment and so much more.
My goal is to help make your time in Paris as memorable as possible!
Cruise the picturesque inland waterways of France on an intimate French canal barge or river cruise! French river cruises and canal barging are available in Alsace-Lorraine, Champagne, Burgundy and the Upper Loire Valley as well as the Siene River.
River cruising and canal barges offer an intimate and charming way to discover France: off-the-beaten-path and up close and personal. Here’s a sample of what is available:
French Canal Cruising – Burgundy
Situated in the heart of France, the peaceful and charming region of Burgundy is connected by a network of over 600 miles of canals and waterways. Burgundy has been at the crossroads of France since the prehistoric age and the history and culture is mesmerizing!
Burgundy Canal Cruise Highlights Include:
– Walking tours of Dijon, the historic capital of Burgundy
– Visiting the charming town of Beaune
– French wine tasting in Santenay
– Dinner ashore at Lameloise
– Leisurely cruising through some of France’s smallest canals. Cruising through these canals gets you so close to the villages that you can almost catch the scent of freshly baked croissants!
Please note that canal boats, since small in size, have limited cabins and should be reserved well in advance.
Many French river cruises are available and I’m happy to discuss the many delightful options. This is a very special way to visit France, which I can’t recommend enough.
Numerous villa rentals, chateaux and apartment rental options exist! I’m more than happy to provide photos and detailed descriptions per your request.
Let’s discuss your wishes and the region of France you’re interested in and I will provide you with recommendations.
The variety of France vacations we can craft together are endless. Contact me now to get planning – Merci!